Ok, this is a pretty boring subject to be posting on, but it's been preoccupying me for the past few days so I figure I'll say something about it because I haven't posted in a while. I went to the optometrist on Wednesday last week and decided I was finally going to try contacts for the first time. I'm finding them ok and it gets better as the days go by. This morning was pretty brutal though because I put one of my contacts in inside-out. That was the most irritating feeling I've ever experienced. It was so awful that my eyes were watering like crazy and tears were streaming down my face. Thankfully I figured out what was wrong and was easily able to remedy the situation.
Anyway, more interestingly, getting contacts has made me think about some things. First, I think the biggest reason I'm glad to have contacts is that I feel better about myself for finally doing something I've been talking about doing for a long time. Second, I've been thinking about the part of me that isn't so sure I want to bother with contacts because it's too much work, too different from glasses, or too hard to get used to. I realized that I don't want to be like this: so resistent to change and not willing to put in the effort to improve upon myself. I think about my mom and how it bothers me so much that she's not willing to put in the effort to make her dentures work for her, and how much I dislike it when she comes up with her list of what I consider excuses for not wearing them. I don't want to be like that, but I see a bit of it in myself and so I find myself purposefully going in the opposite direction, regardless of whether or not wearing contacts is really that big of a deal.
I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the contacts, at least wearing them occasionally, because there are times when I don't want to wear my glasses, like when I'm wearing a hat. I hate having to wear glasses when I want to wear a hat or cap; they just get in the way. Also, it's nice to be able to see my eyes more. They seem bigger to me now that I see them for prolonged periods of time without glasses for them to hide behind.
2 comments:
Very inspiring. It's great to hear how others move in a direction of personal growth - it gives me faith that I can move toward my own goals.
Thanks for sharing this trivial thing! :)
Contacts are stressful! You have to stick them in your eye, which you think is the horrible part until you realize you have to get them out somehow. I know exactly what you mean. I am an avid contact wearer - 14 years going strong now. Wait until you get a hair that is still attached to your head stuck under a contact - now that is a funny feeling!!
Post a Comment